Wednesday, November 16, 2005

loy krathong is going on now and it's the coolest thing

Thailand has the best idea ever. It's called loy krathong, and it's a light festival. I will briefly try to describe it, but no amout of words will do it justice. It's 3 days of firecrackers and parades and flower-filled banana leaf boats that we toss into the river to carry our burdens away. And then there are these sky lanterns, which are like luminaries for the heavens. Little hot air balloons that speckle the sky like incredible stars. It's pretty damn romantic. I'll definitely be returning here.

My program here is finally clear. I'll be gathering information, writing proposals, and developing programs. My specific concerns are going to be avian flu and tobacco risks for HIV/AIDS patients. Yes, it does sound very high and noble, and I'm hoping that's how the medical school admissions committees see it. And then I hope they like high and noble. I am excited. I can't wait to get back to Hanoi and start working.

It must be the humidity or something, because I'm finding that I need more sleep than I'm used to. It's more bothersome than anything else. Also, I've been eating larger but fewer meals. I haven't had breakfast in a number of days, and lunch happens about half of the time.

I got a sudoku widget for dashboard. If you have no mac, this won't make sense. And if you don't know how addicting sudokus are, you probably won't realize how difficult it is for me to get anything done on my computer now.

Big shoutouts to Doug, Jarrod, and Danielle. I don't think anyone else knows about this page. I ask that we keep it that way until I go back and fix some things I wrote earlier that really don't have to be general information. And if anyone else is reading this, well I suppose I'd like to know so I could pretend that I care. Or be slightly embarrassed. Or censor myself in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment