Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I'm too lazy to bother titling this

So, I've been delinquent, in a way. A quote will do well to explain.

"There is, for better and worse, no typical day in my life as a writer. I seem to have two settings: off and on. When my switch is off, I can't seem to make myself do anything. I procrastinate horribly and stew for days or weeks in my own self-loathing. This would farily be called writer's block, I guess, although I always try to pretend it's extremely dire and original rather than an obvious and well-documented phenomenon.
When my switch magically turns on, I write and write. I stay up late into the night, night after night, and I feel very happy. I feel so happy I get smug; I wonder why it took me so long to get going.
Sometimes I wish I could work several hours a day, every day, like a normal professional person. Someday maybe I will. Who knows? ( I have always been an optimist.)"

And now, as you do as I have done before you, which is believe every one of Ann Brashares' wise words, I will explain myself as having my switch being still off. So really it's not my fault that I'm not writing. It's that I can't. I just can't. It's very dire. And original.

On the upside, there is nothing like school starting (Thursday) to give me things to talk about. 'Course, I could talk about how I read the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, but that's kinda girly and I'd rather brag about how I read For Whom the Bells Toll and how I liked it (wasn't that like a month and a half ago? Yes, but shhhhhh) or how I'm currently reading more Dostoevsky and aren't I just the biggest man of awesome ever for it. But really, the Dost is taking me forever, so today I read the Second Summer of the Sisterhood, and decided I was mostly Lena, with some Tibby. Plus a Y chromosome. Minus Greek heritage. Minus also a nosering. Well, minus and plus lots of things really. And why the hell am I writing all this?

So to all my friends, hello. I'm back. Back writing. At least I think I might be. Or maybe I should worry about having friends before I worry about being back in writing mode. Chances are I haven't talked to anyone reading this for months, save like 4 people. Or 5 maybe. Hi Doug. It feels like a long time since Kara's wedding, doesn't it? Hi Michael and Dustin and Lynsey. Thank you for all your blogs. Hi everyone else. Please forgive my inability to stay in touch. I love you all Marta.

No comments:

Post a Comment