Thursday, August 31, 2006

In which I study for a class (or at least put on such airs)

It's been a bit of a struggle to get back into school mode. Most of me wants to not study, and indeed I occupy myself with this very pursuit with a high degree of regularity. The last couple days, however, (and due, by and large, to my imposing manner and the grace and charity of certain members of my class) I have done some learning with others. I realize this is a bit out of character, but it seemed like the good thing to do. It's still a bit of a novelty, as previously my contact with anything that might be construed as "studying together" has been
a) me copying another's homework,
b) others copying my homework,
c) me teaching a kid 3 years younger than me (and often a few IQ points too (oh, that doesn't sound conceited (but seriously, how hard is it to figure out conversion factors?))) how to convert grams to moles, or
d) Matt Johns and I doing homework in the same room so that we only had to do half the problems.
In any case, all this collaboration has been in a "solving problems" situation, and never actually in a "memorize a good 3/4 of the entire Latin vocabulary and then associate it with structures, and then arteries, and then nerves, and then disorders" sense. It's like filling a shot glass with a fire hose.
Actually, I've been something of a parasite, because I haven't really had anything meaningful to contribute to any of these meetings. It feels something akin to being in a strange church when you're 12 years old and getting sent to the earlyteen Sabbath School that has only 7 kids and three of them are siblings and the whole class knows their Bible backwards and forwards so when they play their Sabbath School games they try to trick each other with their knowledges of Leviticus and III Micah, all in Arabic. And so I just sit there and think to myself, "Well, I'm going to hell." Only I feel worse about not knowing embryology than I do about not knowing the extra Bible stories, like the time Saul went to see the witch of Mordor (or maybe it was the Ewoks of Endor).
I feel like I should close with an AD quote. Wait, no, I made one of my own today. Well, maybe I can work the two together.

G.O.B.: I hear the jury's still out on science.
Me: It's not that I don't trust science. I just don't trust people who trust science.

Me again (in response, (a day late for the particular instance in which I'm thinking, which gave rise to the whole idea,) to people who like Grey's Anatomy and that McFlurry doctor): Charm itself is not a virtue, Mr. Wickham.
(Actually, I probably should have said Kitty instead of Wickham, but the allusion would have been lost, or more lost. For those of you who are lost, I promise I almost know what I'm talking about, and it really isn't so clever or funny that you should concern yourself with it. But I had to give something for the people who didn't catch my Matt Johns/AD/Star Wars/LOTR references. Though I would say that, by definition, these people probably have too little in common with me to care to be my friend)

No comments:

Post a Comment