Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Med School Day 10 Or: How I learned to stop worrying and almost ask a girl out

So, on my 8th day of wards I didn't really do much. Frequently I follow around a 3rd year resident to do consultations and see patients, and other times I watch Dr. Lee do endoscopies. But today I couldn't find my resident and I'd seen quite enough colons for a while, and so I sat and read. First I tried to look interested in gastroenterology stuff so the attendings and fellows would think well of me, but then I got bored so I read my book. Fortunately we had chapel (this is probably the first time I've ever thought so pleasantly of a chapel before it had occurred), so I got to leave early.

Everyone should know that it's Greg Nielsen's 21st birthday today. Please use this information appropriately. If you are not an appropriate-type person, it's probably best if you just disregard that information.

I bought books. If I had paid cash, my wallet would have been some ideal candidate for a weight loss ad.

My sister thinks it will be fun for her to invite her medical school friends over and me to invite my medical school friends over so that they can all become friends (and indeed, these are our Sabbath lunch plans). I want to, at this point, stress many a time that this is not my idea, nor would I ever be likely to have an idea such as this. In any case, this thing seems like it will actually go down, and so it is my responsibility to prove to my sister that I have more friends than her. Only the numbers are pretty even, and most of my friends are boys, and I'd rather not look completely homosocial. If Katrina was going to be here I wouldn't have had this problem.
It was at this point that it crossed my mind to invite some people I really don't know very well to lunch, in an effort to both be friendly and appear like I have more friends and even girl friends. (I know, I know, this isn't asking a girl out in the traditional sense, but sibling competition is no time for tradition. Actually, Danielle won't know it's a competition until she reads this post.) So I approached a couple of girls today with every intention of inviting them to Sabbath lunch. It would be a bit of a hyperbole to say that things went terribly wrong; I just never got around to inviting them. Still, they seem like they would be good company (I don't really know. I've only met them twice but they seem amiable enough) but the problem now is I don't believe I'll be seeing them before Friday, which seems like quite late notice for a Sabbath engagement (note to self: in the event that they might be marriage-crazy, refrain from use of that particular word).
Basically I see my options as such:
A. Friday invite. Sure it's late, but it's better than nothing. Plus cool people don't plan things until the last minute, so it might make me look cool.
B. No invite. This is far more in line with my reputation. Plus it would be very bothersome to have girls around here thinking that I might actually invite them somewhere. No use giving false hope, ya know?
C. Call them and invite them. A risky option because
a) I can't address them both at once, so whoever doesn't get the call might feel slighted. As a chronic people-pleaser, this does not sit well with me. Well, sitting in general does not sit well with me. I'm very fidgety.
b) I don't have their numbers, and so even if I was to obtain their numbers I'd have to find some way to explain this without saying something stupid like "I used to stalk people"
c) I really hate phones. I'm also quite bad on them. I usually end up saying something stupid on them

Decisions, decisions. I think I'll take a nap.

9 hours later...

So I did nap (kinda), and didn't call any girls (Dustin and Jarrod have both voted for the Friday invite, and much as I don't really trust any of Jarrod's advice about girls, I've never known Dustin to have an idea that was less than good.), and then went to a swim party with Greg. Brenden was there. It was so awesome. Nothing makes a day like giving Brenden a hug. And now I'm lying here in bed, IMing Jill (who's in my sister's room 20 feet away), and dreading how tired I'm going to be in less than 5 hours when I need to get up.

No comments:

Post a Comment