Monday, February 13, 2006

I'm Mr. Manager

The funny thing about sports is that it's so momentary, so fleeting. Well, many things fleet, but with sports I find it especially pronounced. Especially at the Olympics. After a 200 week reprieve, I'm once again supposed to be interested in Herman Maier and Apolo (what a cool name) Ohno, which wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't also required to be magically caught up with all the gossip airborne produce (that snowboarder) and people getting in trouble for being drunk on the job (Bode Miller). And then there are the fanatics who sling names and event names with total abandon, like we're at the batting cages or something. If we were at the Olympic batting cages, I'd be chillin with the 50 MPH chain-link fences; I would not pretend to be facing Randy Johnson or even Jamie Moyer. I mean, and seriously now, have we heard any of these names (besides Michelle Kwan) in the past four years? And how many of these athletes have been here in the past? How many of these events have been here in the past? And why don't they show more hockey instead of so much of that crazy ski thing that's moguls and jumps and 26 seconds long? While I'm at it, how does one go about getting on the Olympic committee so I can get my awesome sports snowboating and skyboating in the lineup? Also, do we only get new Olympic music when the US holds the games? I think the hosting country should be responsible for getting one of its premiere composers to treat us to some new tunes. I'm not trying to pick on the Olympics here. I have these same difficulties with March Madness and World Volleyball Championships and UEFA Champions League (apart from most of Arsenal and Manchester United and then the superstars that are sprinkled and clumped throughout the other teams). Vote Wright and Wuchenich (even though the only few people with AUSA voting (w)rights that will reading this are either named Wuchenich or are living/have lived with the candidate). And at the risk of causing Paul more myspace trouble, Down with Gaymo! PS Danielle, I think I've found you a good campaign slogan. PPS If you're an administator at Andrews, I'm just kidding, and please stop reading here. PPPS Danielle, I still like the slogan, though you could modify it to be Down with Gaymo and Gaydministrators. PPPPS If any FOX executives happen to be reading this, please know this: in vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love Arrested Development. (P^5)*S My apologies to any (......others......) who just melt at this line from Mr Darcy. But it is a good line, and I've yet to find a situation where it might be better applied. Yes, I do realize tomorrow is V Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment